- Six Strings - Unsteady v1

 (Unsteady - Mirrored Insight)

My ability to create on the guitar, like most people, comes and goes.  Whole weeks will pass by while I do nothing other than casually noodle on the instrument.  This is a behavior that great guitarists have pooh pooh'd because noodling does nothing to make you inherently better.  In my infinite wisdom, I would argue that noodling helps you iron down the basics of what you might already be comfortable with. I feel that it has its place in a balanced diet.

Occasionally, it also bears other fruit.


What you're hearing in the beginning of this song is my alternating between Fmaj7 and ... something that, to the best of my knowledge, has no name. (0034XX) It's minor, whatever it is.  Some kind of... variant on Am, I think, I dunno.  Anyway, the difference between those two chords felt very haunting to me.  It made me feel listless and, as the name might suggest, unsteady. 

Then, quite by accident, I stumbled into another chord, Fmaj7sus2. (01045X). As things so frequently do, the rest of the song sort of...fell into my lap at that point. 

Well...most of it.  I didn't really plan for what to do at the end of it so I fell back into a pattern that didn't really fit with the key the rest of the song was in.  I might go back and fix it someday.

Curiously, when I showed this video to a friend of mine, he immediately said, "It doesn't sound like you're unsteady at all, man.  It sounds like someone else is, and you're helping them out."  Which...was cool.


Chord notes:

Am? = 0034XX
Fmaj7sus2 = 01045X
G6 = 030023
Cadd9 = 03023X
Dadd9/11 = 03045X

 

Fmaj7, Am?, Fmaj7, Am?
Fmaj7, Am?, Fmaj7, Am?
Fmaj7, Am?, Fmaj7, Am?
Fmaj7, Am?, Fmaj7, Am?
Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2, Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2
Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2, Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2
Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2, Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2
Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2, Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2
Am, G6, Am, G6
Cadd9, G6, Cadd9, G6
Cadd9, G6, Cadd9, G6
D, Am, C, G, Dsus2
Fmaj7, Am?, Fmaj7, Am?
Fmaj7, Am?, Fmaj7, Am?
Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2, Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2
Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2, Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2
Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2, Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2
Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2, Fmaj7, Fmaj7sus2
E7, Am, E7, Am
C, Dadd9/11, Em
C, Dadd9/11, Em



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts