- Six Strings - Bittersweet Secrets

(Private Investigations - Dire Straits)


Guitar: Martin D-35 Dreadnought
Tuning: DADGAD
Amp: None.

Notes:  The opening sequence starts out at the 7th fret with a D-Shape chord fingerpicked.  It moves down to the 5th, fretted only on the D and G strings.  From there, it moves to the 2nd fret in a standard D-Shape and then to the second fret with only the G string fretted.  Pretty sure the time sig is 5/4.

This is my first attempt in almost 20 years writing any kind of music.  It figures that it would revolve around my father's Martin.

In case the story hasn't been told enough, my father is completely to blame for my guitar habit.  My siblings and I grew up listening to him pull some amazing noises out of his old Martin Dreadnought.  When he passed away, the privilege of caring for his Martin came to me.

The journey of acquiring the rudimental talent that I now possess has been a rollercoaster thus far, and I don't anticipate that changing any time soon.  While the vast majority of my time on this particular ride has been immensely enjoyable, there has been one low spot that I return to on a regular basis whenever I'm noodling around on any of my guitars.  Every time I discover something new, I want to talk to him about it.  I want to show him what I've learned, to see how he might fine-tune it, to find out if he discovered it the same way I did when he started playing.  I want to know more about his journey as a player.

Unfortunately, the only clues he left behind were sealed in his guitar.  He filled it with secrets over the course of nearly 50 years, and it does not give them up easily.  When it does, it rarely explains them.

I suppose that's part of the ride too.




Comments

Popular Posts