- Six Strings - A Damaged Brain v1

 (A Damaged Brain - Mirrored Insight)


There's an incredible amount of irony on display here. Anyone who has settled into a cup of something and talked music with me knows that I absolutely loathe most cover songs. This is an instrumental rendition of Pink Floyd's 'Brain Damage', one of my all-time favorite songs and a great north star for my guitar playing.

My father taught me to play 'Brain Damage' before I really knew what I was doing. Most of the song is a piece of cake to play once you get the finger picking pattern down. A bunch of it is just the D Chord shape traveling up and down the neck. Of course, as soon as it leaves that second fret, it's not really a D Chord anymore, and that got me to thinking, "What -are- those other chords?" I figured the root notes of the chords out and pegged them as an E and G, just much higher on the scale. That, in turn, made me wonder what the progression of chords would sound like if you went low instead of high, leaning on cowboy chords instead of that portable D Chord shape.

The more I started playing with that progression, the more I REALLY started enjoying what I heard. New chords worked their way in along with new flourishes and transitions and...well, this happened.

There's a part of me that hopes someone else doesn't stumble onto this and get as repulsed as I usually do when I find a Pink Floyd cover.

The rest of me sort of...doesn't care. 

This is out of my head now, so I probably won't revisit it to clean it up.


Guitar Notes:

Guitar: Gretsch, both pick-ups, everything at 100%
Neunaber Seraphim: 2, 2:30, 9:30
Boss Katana MkII: Reverb Yellow @ 1, everything else off, Clean.




Comments

Popular Posts