- Six Strings - The Unridden Pasture v1

 (The Unridden Pasture - Mirrored Insight)

There's this thing with guitars where the first series of chords most people end up learning are typically located at or below the third fret and they tend to be more or less open -- that is, all or most of the strings on the instrument are strummed.  (The obvious exception here is the D chord and its relatives.). These chords tend to get lumped together into a group referred to as the Country Chords, and as much as I generally dislike country music, there's a very good reason for that.

Seriously, listen to this:


I don't do country, and country wasn't necessarily what I set up to do with this song.  It just sort of...ended there.  Mind you, that had as much to do with the switch from 4/4 time to 3/4 time.  Anyone familiar with musical measure will understand that this does to...well, just about anything.  3/4 time is where the hicks and ballroom dancers belong.  

No, the irony there is not lost on me.

There's a lot about this playthrough that I jacked up in terms of measures that I was playing.  The clip runs just under four minutes, but it should easily clock in at around 3:30.  I've got several measures of fat in there simply because I didn't bother to move from the CAdd9, G cycle to the step up sequence of G, C, DAdd9/11, D when I was supposed to.  I also fucked up the last minor sequence of Am, G, Em, A.  That should have played Am, G, D, A.

Oh well.

I also need to stop being lazy and start recording more of this stuff using my condenser mic setup.  My pieces are complex enough that a lot of the sonic range is lost on my iPhone's microphones. 

Lastly, I should really be playing this thing on my father's Martin, but the damned thing is still so hard for me to play that I elected to stick with The Persian and it's super fast neck.  It makes that step-up sequence much easier..  ONe of these days, I'm going to get the Pearl re-strung and sanded properly, but that's tomorrow's bridge. 

The person in the audience shouting that practice will help with the Martin can shut the hell up now.

As an aside, this song illustrates what's so damned cool about music.  Anyone familiar with classic heavy metal might just recognize the bridge sequence of Am, G, Em, F.  Not sure where it's from?  Neither was I, at first.  I just knew it sounded freakin' amazing when I was playing it in 4/4.  Then I dropped it into 3/4 and immediately went, 'Oh shit.  They're gonna kill me for using that sequence in a country song.'


Guitar Notes:

The Persian, Lead Circuit, All Up, Bridge Pickup
Boss Katana defaults with no overdrive or delay.
Seraphim Shimmer at 12, 12, and 0.

If I ever re-record this, I'm going to slow it down to about 95bpm and play with a damned metronome in my ear.  It's at around 110 right now, and it's too bloody damned fast...

7thC - G Chord shape at the 7th fret with the high E fretted at 9.  It's magical.

CAdd9, G, CAdd9, G

CAdd9, G, CAdd9, G

G, C, DAdd911

D, C, G, D

D, C, Am, G

CAdd9, G, CAdd9, G

CAdd9, G, CAdd9, G

G, C, DAdd911

D, C, G, D

D, C, Am, G

Am, G, Em, F

Am, G, D, Am

Am, G, Em, F

Am, G, D, A

CAdd9, G, CAdd9, G

CAdd9, G, CAdd9, G

G, C, DAdd911

D, C, G, D

D, C, Am, G

G, 7thC, G, 7thC
G, 7thC, G, 7thC

Comments

Popular Posts