- Six Strings - Leftovers v1

(Yarrow - El Huervo)

Years and years ago, I tried to pick up playing the guitar.  It didn't take, but I retained a little of that knowledge and brought it forward with me to present day.  Perhaps the most precious piece of information I was able to recall was the very first song I ever learned how to play:

Brain Damage by Pink Floyd.

I've always loved that song.  It's probably my favorite Pink Floyd song of all time, and seeing as how the Floyd is my favorite band of all time, that probably makes it my favorite song of all time period.  Anyway, I begged my father to just 'skip to the end' and show me how to play the opening guitar part to that song.

Now, there are dozens of things that you -should- know before you attempt to learn that solo, and there's a sensible order to learn those things in.  Such was the wisdom of my father that he completely skipped all of those things and simply showed me where to put my hands.  Dad knew my mind worked a great deal like his did, so he didn't bother with things that I wouldn't have understood.  He just dropped the knowledge into my head in about 15 minutes.

As an adult and a self-taught player, I now have an enormous amount of respect for what he taught me and how he chose to do it.

That's a long run-up to this video, but...oh well.

I love the D Chord.  Always have.  It was the first chord I ever learned, and it's the anchor for that Brain Damage solo.  It shouldn't be a surprise that a great deal of my early exploration of the guitar branched out from that chord.  I experimented with different fingerings and different positions on the fretboard, never understanding that I was inadvertently playing with D Sus 2 and D Sus 4 Chords, or leveraging the CAGED system.

Anyway, there's a lot of early chording and fingering that I've always loved playing to relax, and I've been dying to find a way to work some of it into a cohesive tune.  Finally got that chance here.  It's a lot of leftover ideas that finally all found a home, hence the name of the clip:



Guitar: Gretsch Streamliner 2622 Hard-Tail
Pots: All Max
Pick-Up: Middle/Both
Amp: Boss Katana Mk I
Cabinet: (o'Clock): Clean, Gain 9, Vol 5:30, 
Effects: Blues Overdrive (G) 10, Tape Echo (O) 10, Hall Reverb (O) 10

Notes:

E, A, E, A, Bs2, As2, E
C, A, High C, A, Es4, E
F7, C, F7, C, Am, Em
Am, G, D, D5, D7, D
C, G, Cadd9, Folk G, Cadd9
Ds4, D, C, Dadd9/11, C
G

Most of this is actually spot on in terms of naming a proper chord.  There are a few outliers though:

- Bs2:  I can't bar chords, so this is a four-finger B Chord with the high E left to ring open. 
- High C: Fret the B, G, and D strings at the fifth fret and play the top four strings EBGD.
- F7: That's an F Major 7, basically an F Chord with the High E left to ring open.
- Folk G: A standard G Chord with the B string also fretted at 3.  Some people call it a Big G.
- D5: HORRIBLE name for this chord.  This is actually an F Chord, but it's played with a D Chord shape at the fifth fret and voiced with EBGD.  
- D7: Same horrible stuff here.  This is actually a G Chord in a D Chord shape at the seventh fret voiced with EBGD.
- Dadd9/11: Take a standard C Chord and move it up two frets.  Boom.  Bloody gorgeous.  This IS the right name for this chord, I checked. 
- Cadd9: So, your Folk G?  Just move your bottom two fingers on your A and E strings each up one string so they're now on D and A, respectively.  Same frets.  Boom.  Cadd9.  Bloody gorgeous.  This one's named properly as well.




Comments

Popular Posts